Acme Spring was formed in 1931 by Fred Handley, father of the current directors, at a time when trade was tough and recovering from the Great Depression.
Acme started out by factoring springs, moving into actual manufacture in the late 1930’s, with the factory in Walsall Street, West Bromwich with offices in Queen Street, both streets now gone in town redevelopments of the 1980’s and 1990’s. When the Walsall Street site was destroyed in the air raid that hit Coventry, Acme moved to Bull Lane, now Brandon Way, where they have been ever since.
Steve Handley, after completing an HND Business Studies Course, joined the company in 1970 in a technical and production capacity. Paul Handley, a Chartered Accountant, joined the company in the early 1970’s. After Fred died in 1988 a period of consolidation followed.